Friday, February 12, 2010

Germans and shoveling

It's German law that you shovel the snow out of your walkway. They take it very seriously. If someone slips on your sidewalk, they can sue you. I have been unable to find a snow shovel, so I've been counting on the generosity of my neighbors to shovel my bit of the sidewalk in front of our row. I'm sure it's starting to get on their nerves, but they haven't said anything yet. So when it snows, you see the Germans out shoveling like mad. Yesterday when I was driving home, I saw several small children all bundled up, shoveling along with a toy shovel with Mom and Dad. They start them pretty young, so it is totally part of being German. Shovel, shovel, shovel! I got some salt to throw down. It just keeps snowing! Seems like a losing battle to me! :)

2 comments:

  1. Come on, Lindsey! Show them the American way. You need a 277cc gas-powered 28" path Two-stage Snowblower. Git 'er done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you think, Adam! I really feel like a fish out of water with all of this snow. I was telling my neighbor that for the past 12 years, any snowfall I encountered melted almost instantly, or at least by the next day. I keep waiting for all this to melt, but it just keeps snowing! :)

    ReplyDelete